Freshman Seminars are designed specifically to enhance the first-year experience, and a great way for new students to start their university career. Each seminar is taught by a faculty member and is limited to 20 students. Freshman Seminars allow first-year students to interact in a smaller setting, connect with a faculty member, and become involved in a unique area of study. Freshmen seminars are offered both fall and spring semesters.
How to Search Online for Freshman Seminars
If you would like to search for a Freshman Seminar online, follow the steps below. The online class schedule will always contain the most up-to-date information on Freshman Seminars. Please note that the times and locations of the Freshman Seminars are subject to change.
- Log onto MyU - myu.umn.edu - and click on the Academics tab.
- Under Enrollment Tools, select Class Search.
- Once you have entered Class Search, verify that Twin Cities/Rochester is selected in the Institution field. Then choose either Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 in the Term field.
Note: Freshman seminars are unique because you can register for a spring semester course at the same time as you’re registering for your fall courses. Make sure to check both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 for freshman seminars that interest you!
- Then, in the Course Attribute field, select Freshman Seminar.
- At this point, if you click Search, you will get a list of all freshman seminars being offered during the selected semester. It is helpful to select Show Open Classes Only before clicking Search if you only want to view courses that still have available seats. If you are interested in putting your name on a wait list for a course, do not select Show Open Classes Only. In order to narrow down your results, you can also use the Additional Search Criteria section to find seminars that fit into certain time slots or are taught by specific instructors, etc.
- After you have generated a list of seminars that fit your desired parameters, you can click on the section or class number to view more details about the class, including a brief description.
- To register for a seminar, click Select on the right hand side of the course information and follow the instructions to add it to your Enrollment Shopping Cart.