The mission of Orientation & First-Year Programs (OFYP) is to provide quality transitional experiences that maximize students potential for personal and academic success. OFYP communication is viewed by over 5,500 incoming freshmen, around 3,000 incoming transfer students, and approximately 6,000 parents of new students. We also design and print posters and publications shared around campus, design and print 17,000 copies of the Gopher Guide, and produce numerous electronic communication items (eNewsletter, social media, etc.) for all current freshmen and transfer students.
The OFYP Communication and Design Intern will assist with many projects related to New Student Orientation, Welcome Week, and other first-year programs. The ideal candidate should possess exceptional graphic design skills, a strong interest in communication strategy, and the desire to build on your experience as a communications professional.
- Work closely with OFYP staff to plan and create various print and electronic communication items (publications, posters, flyers, postcards, signage, electronic displays, and digital graphics for web, email, and social, etc.)
- Build, edit, and send mass emails; manage mailing schedule and recipient lists; create reports to document email metrics
- Edit and update content on OFYP website, MyU web portal, social media, and U Minnesota mobile app guides
- Develop and propose design concepts for programs; approved proposals are developed (iterative process) and applied to all communication items
- Facilitate communication process: get content from staff, submit to editor, make edits and submit for approval, and move into production (files sent to printer and/or make electronic edits)
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite design programs (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.), with experience designing for print and web
- A strong interest in electronic communication (design and launch of email marketing campaigns, mobile apps, content management systems, HTML, etc.)
- Have a good understanding of all aspects of digital communications and social media
- Be able to quickly learn new things, particularly on the technical side
- Ability to work with professional staff to understand project needs, ask clarifying questions, and communicate regularly with team members
- Ability to juggle many projects, be a creative problem solver, be detailed and organized, and have a conceptual aptitude
- Positive attitude and eagerness to learn
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Familiarity with the Google (sites, groups, apps, etc.), Drupal, U Minnesota (Guidebook), MyU web portal, Salesforce Marketing Cloud (ExactTarget), and other electronic tools utilized by the U of M
- An understanding of web standards and an excitement for emerging technologies
- Knowledge of U of M branding standards
- A strong interest in visual communication, infographics, and multimedia
- Internship starts in April or May and will go through September 2017 (if you graduate before fall 2017 you are not eligible to apply)
- Approximately 10-15 hours per week during spring 2017; work hours take place between 8-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (may require some irregular hours); 25-40 per week in the summer
- Possibility of staying on for Fall 2017
- Pay is commensurate with experience
- Applicants must be full-time students in good academic and judicial standing
- The position has been filled. If you have questions contact Bill O'Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will hire for this position again sometime in the 2017-2018 school year.
Communication & Publications
OFYP creates and delivers a wide variety of targeted emails and online articles. For example, freshmen in the Class of 2018 receive monthly eNewsletters and weekly articles to help keep them informed and connected throughout their first year.