The deadline has passed to submit an application for 2017 Orientation Leader position.
Orientation Leaders are responsible for administering a successful New Student Orientation and Welcome Week. Both programs focus on providing a quality transitional experience for new students. Additionally, the Orientation Leaders work as a team to recruit and prepare a volunteer team of 350 Welcome Week Leaders.
New Student Orientation will occur on various dates between June 6 - July 14 and August 23 - 28, 2017. The role of the Orientation Leaders is to lead groups of new first-year students and their parents/guests and to educate them on campus resources and student life issues as part of their transition to the University.
Welcome Week is August 30 - September 3, 2017 and is the second step in a first-year student's transition. First-Year students will move/come to campus and participate in programming to assist in their transition to the University. OLs train and supervise the Welcome Week Leaders and staff Welcome Week events.
Applicants must be in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.3 GPA) with two completed semesters, not including summer session or post-secondary work, of university or collegiate experience. First-year students, graduate students, students studying abroad with a departure date prior to September 3, 2017, and students graduating in May 2017 are not eligible to apply.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are selected based on their ability to work well with others, communicate effectively, and commit to a rigorous schedule. OLs must display public relations skills and maturity of judgment. Additionally, OLs need to have patience, flexibility, strong organizational skills, and be willing and ready to learn. They should be resourceful and capable of assuming a leadership position with little supervision.
*All dates are subject to change.
OLs participate in training on issues such as facilitation, peer supervision, equity and diversity, sexual violence and health, conflict management, communication skills, and a variety of other leadership topics. The goal of training is to support and challenge OLs as they develop the leadership and facilitation skills needed for the position. OLs will also be responsible for the recruitment and training of the Welcome Week Leaders during the Spring.
- Winter Retreat, January 13 - 15, 2017
- Wednesday meetings from 3:30-7:30 p.m., January 18 - May 3
- Welcome Week Leader Training Sessions: Saturdays, February 25, March 25, April 15 from 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 - 4:00 p.m. and Tuesdays, Feburary 28, March 28, and April 18 from 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (OLs will participate in 5 of these 9 sessions)
OLs are expected to attend daily summer training on program logistics prior to Orientation and again prior to Welcome Week. These training sessions focus on presenting specific workshops, leading campus tours, understanding University policies, and becoming more knowledgeable about various organizations and resources on campus.
- Residence Hall Move-In – May 21
- Summer Training – May 21 - June 5 (approx. 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily)
- Freshman Orientation – June 6 - July 14 and August 23 - 28 (approx. 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.)
- Welcome Week Training – August 18 - 24 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week Leader Prep Week – August 25 - 29 (approx. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily)
- Welcome Week – August 30 - September 3 (approx. 8 a.m. - 12 a.m. daily)
The following will be expected of OLs during New Student Orientation:
- Present to large audiences of new students.
- Facilitate small group discussions.
- Participate in Pieces of the Puzzle theatrical production.
- Support the logistics of the orientation program.
- Live in a University Residence Hall from May 21 - July 14.
The following will be expected of OLs during Welcome Week:
- Prepare & implement training for Welcome Week Leaders.
- Plan and oversee Welcome Week Prep Week activities and projects.
- Attend Welcome Week and provide support to staff and activities.
- Present to large audiences of new students.
$3,800, plus room and board May 21 - July 14, 2017.
Application and Selection process
Eligible applicants will go through a three-tiered selection process. The schedule for the selection process is below.
- Applications are due on Monday, October 31 by 4:30 p.m.
- Applications will be reviewed and students moving forward will be invited to participate in a group interview. This notification will take place on November 9, 2016 and group interviews will be on November 13 and 15, 2016.
- Students moving on from the group interview round will be invited to participate in an individual and college interview to take place between November 18 - December 13. Students selected for an individual and college interview will be notified on November 17, 2016.
- Students selected to be a 2017 Orientation Leader will be notified on December 15, 2016.
- Friday, October 14, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., 319 Coffman Memorial Union
- Tuesday, October 18, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m., 1-149 Carlson School of Management
- Wednesday, October 19, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m., 223 Appleby Hall
- Wednesday, October 26, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m., B30 Ruttan Hall
- Friday, October 28, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., 319 Coffman Memorial Union
Call 612-624-1979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.