Should you be a Welcome Week Leader?
We are no longer accepting 2014 Welcome Week Leader applications. Applications to be a 2015 Welcome Week Leader will be available during winter 2015. Thank you for your interest!
This is a volunteer position. You will be required to attend spring and summer training and event preparation during the week prior to Welcome Week in addition to Welcome Week itself.
You will work in pairs and help guide freshmen through the Welcome Week program, focusing on providing a quality transitional experience for the students. As a WWL, you’ll be expected to:
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for freshmen
- Facilitate activities within small groups of freshmen
- Lead small group discussions
- Track small group attendance and participation
- Assist with New Student Move-In
- Support college-specific Welcome Week activities
- Lead and participate in Welcome Week community exploration events
- Assist with set-up and take-down of Welcome Week events
- Maintain professionalism when working with first-year students and while representing Orientation & First-Year Programs and the University
- Complete final program evaluations
- Attend post Orientation & First-Year Programs activities (closure, etc…)
- Complete miscellaneous duties as necessary
What You’ll Gain
- Knowledge of how to use your Strengths in individual and team situations
- Confidence when leading a group of peers
- Increased tolerance of ambiguity
- Practical knowledge of the University of Minnesota
- Cooperative relationships among the people with whom you work
Who We Are Looking For
You’ll be selected on the basis of your performance at the WWL orientation session, participation in, and completion of all required training sessions; adherence to University of Minnesota and Welcome Week policies and standards, and ability to meet all required WW time commitments.
You must demonstrate an ability to work well with others, communicate effectively, demonstrate mature judgment, and commit to a rigorous schedule. Additionally, you need to have patience, flexibility, and strong organizational skills, and be willing and ready to learn, and be willing to represent UMTC with pride and respect.
You must be full-time students in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.30 GPA) and good judicial standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity and Housing & Residential Life. Students studying abroad with a departure between August 15 and September 2, 2014, and students graduating in or before December 2014 are not eligible to apply.
Selection and Training Process
Welcome Week Leader Orientation Session
Saturday, February 15 (9 a.m.-12 p.m. or 1-4 p.m.) OR Tuesday, February 18 (6-9 p.m.)
All applicants will be required to attend a Welcome Week Leader orientation session. During this session, applicants will participate in group activities, learn more about the program, and discuss their Welcome Week Leader essay. Orientation Leaders will make recommendations to the Student Program Coordinators and professional staff in charge of Welcome Week for eligible Welcome Week Leaders. After the orientation session is completed, applicants will be notified on February 21 about selecting training session #1 to learn about being a leader at the U of M. Only selected applicants to be Welcome Week Leaders will be able to continue with the training process. 2014 Welcome Week Leaders will be expected to sign up and attend an option for each of the training sessions listed below:
|Training Session #1||Training Session #2|
|Saturday, March 8, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.||Saturday, April 12, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.|
|Saturday, March 8, 1-4 p.m.||Saturday, April 12, 1-4 p.m.|
|Tuesday, March 11, 6-9 p.m.||Tuesday, April 15, 6-9 p.m.|
Welcome Week Leaders are expected to return to campus for training four days prior to the start of Welcome Week in order to receive training on program implementation, logistics and small group dynamics. This training includes learning to facilitate small groups, understanding University policies, and becoming more knowledgeable about various organizations and services on campus.
Welcome Week Leader Prep Week
Friday, August 22-Tuesday, August 26, 2014 (Approx. hours 8 a.m. – 11 p.m.)
Wednesday, August 27–Monday, September 1, 2014 (Approx. hours 8 a.m. –11 p.m.)