What will you be doing?
WWL Roles & Responsibilities
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new first-year students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions with small groups of students.
- Promote participation in Welcome Week.
- Assist with residence hall move in.
- Support the logistics of the Welcome Week program
What will you get out of it?
- Deepen awareness of your own strengths and leadership style.
- Practice inclusive communication and facilitation strategies for building connections and community.
- Increase mindfulness and appreciation of diverse perspectives, backgrounds, philosophies, and cultures.
- Develop tolerance of ambiguity and critical decision-making ability in a complex environment.
- Explore new knowledge about the University campus, community and resources.
Compensation and Benefits
- The WWL position is a volunteer position.
- Meals will be provided during August training and throughout Welcome Week.
- Parking will be covered during spring and August training and throughout Welcome Week for those commuting from more than 1 mile off campus.
- T-shirts and other freebies will be provided during Welcome Week.
WWLs are expected to commit to the following training and program time commitments in order to remain eligible for the position. Exemptions to these time commitments are rare and will only be considered for extenuating circumstances.
Spring training is focused on leadership development. WWLs will develop their strengths and leadership style and learn about bystander awareness and how to be an ally. All WWLs will attend one of the sessions offered each month.
Training Session #1
- February 25, 2017, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- February 28, 2017, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Training Session #2
- March 25, 2017, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- March 28, 2017, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Training Session #3
- April 15, 2017, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- April 18, 2017, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
If you have been a WWL previously, there are training sessions specifically for returning WWLs which will build upon previous WWL experience. There will be a returning WWL training session each month of spring training. If you are unable to attend the returning WWL training sessions, you may attend any of the other training sessions to fulfill the training requirements for being a WWL.
Welcome Week Leader Prep Week
Prep week training is focused on continued leadership development. It prepares WWLs for the logistics and specific events and activities of Welcome Week.
- Friday, August 25 - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 (Approx. hours 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.)
During Welcome Week, each WWL works with a partner to host a small group of new first-year students.
- Wednesday, August 30 – Sunday, September 3, 2017 (Approx. hours 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.)
WWLs will be assigned to host a Welcome Week small group if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Are a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing (at, or above a 2.3 GPA) and judicial standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity and Housing & Residential Life for the duration of the WWL experience.
- Complete the WWL application by the stated deadline.
- Attend and participate actively and productively in all spring training sessions.
- Complete all online leadership development tasks by the stated deadlines.
- Attend and participate actively and productively in Prep Week training.
- Meet the expectations of the WWL roles and responsibilities.
Do you want to learn more?
Attend one of our tabling sessions!
We will be on the ground level of Coffman Union from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the following dates:
- Thursday, January 26
- Monday, January 30
- Tuesday, January 31
- Wednesday, February 1
- Tuesday, February 7
- Thursday, February 9
Welcome Week Warm Up
Stop by Coffman Union, Room 303 (3rd floor), on Feburary 9 between 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. to warm up with free hot chocolate, Insomnia Cookies, and learn more about the Welcome Week Leader position!
Call 612-624-1979 or email email@example.com for more information about the WWL role.