Orientation? CHECK! Welcome Week? NEXT!
Congratulations! You have successfully completed Orientation. We hope you enjoyed meeting your classmates, learning about campus resources, and getting registered for your fall classes. You heard about Welcome Week from your Orientation Leader. Here is a guide to recap as you continue your transition to the U.
What is Welcome Week?
Through a variety of activities over a six-day experience, you will get to connect with your peers, college of enrollment, U of M as a whole, and the Twin Cities community. Your participation in Welcome Week will help you feel more comfortable and confident as your start your experience at the U and begin classes.
When is Welcome Week?
Welcome Week takes place Wednesday, August 30-Monday, September 4. It is expected that all incoming first-year, first time students attend this program, so be sure to plan family vacations, work schedules, and housing leases (if living off-campus) accordingly.
How will Welcome Week benefit me?
By engaging in a variety of events, you will gain the confidence to start your first semester of courses and thrive in your new community. Specifically, you will;
- Get to know some of the people with whom you’re about to spend the next four years
- Learn where to go when you need help with academics, involvement or personal wellness
- Figure out how to navigate college life, from getting around campus to managing your time
- Discover how college will be different than your previous schooling and what that might mean for your wellbeing
- Realize how your actions can contribute to the campus community
- Understand that there is a community here for you that welcomes your identities and/or interests
- Get excited to be a Gopher!
Participate in Welcome Week events* and you will be entered to win a mini fridge and a year supply of Smartwater from Coca-Cola!
*Full details available on U Minnesota/Class of 2021 guide in August.
What can I do to prepare for Welcome Week?
Watch your email for more information! On July 20, you will receive your first “Class of 2021 eNewsletter” to your UMN email address. It will include some important tasks for you to complete to ensure a smooth transition to campus, including completing Event Selection to create your personalized Welcome Week schedule.
Also, check out the Transition Checklist on page 91 of your Gold Book for additional steps to take throughout the summer.
Want to learn more about your arrival, the Welcome Week schedule, or accommodations? Visit welcomeweek.umn.edu.
In the meantime, get social!
Get connected to the Class of 2021 by sharing your experience at the U!
Orientation & First-Year Programs