We hope that you are having a wonderful summer and that you are slowly but surely preparing to start your experience at the U. We are excited about having you here as a part of our community!
In this newsletter you will find;
- To-Dos - Come to campus prepared by ensuring you have completed the to-do list.
- Things to Know - Read some important “need to knows” for the start of your Welcome Week experience.
- Welcome Week Wisdom - Get some words of wisdom from current students on how to make the most of your Welcome Week experience!
TO DO BEFORE YOU ARRIVE ON CAMPUS
- If you have not yet attended Orientation, there are only three orientation dates remaining (August 26, 27, and 31).
Complete Welcome Week Event Selection
- If you have completed event selection, you should have received a confirmation email (to your U of M Internet account) with details about your arrival on campus.
- Not yet completed event selection, click here to complete the Welcome Week Event Selection.
- After August 26, no adjustments can be made to your selections. If you have questions about what you selected, ask your Welcome Week Leaders when you meet them at your first small group meeting on Wednesday, September 2. If you experience technical difficulties with the Welcome Week Event Selection, please contact OFYP during regular office hours.
Take StrengthsFinder® Online
- Once you complete Event Selection, you will receive a code that will allow you to take StrengthsFinder, an online tool that provides you with your Top 5 talent themes. Visit strengths.umn.edu to learn more about how you can apply your talents in your academics, career, and social life.
- If you have further questions about StrengthsFinder, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete AlcoholEdu®, Transit™, and Haven
- These three required online courses - AlcoholEdu, Transit, and Haven - have been designed to help you think about making healthy decisions regarding your safety and finances throughout your college career. If you have questions, contact email@example.com for support.
- Join the Class of 2019 Facebook Group! Follow #UMN19 on Twitter. Also, check out some snaps with UMN19 on SnapChat. It’s a great way to connect with other first-year students and to stay on top of your transition to the U.
Download the U Minnesota App
- All information you will need to navigate the program and your personal schedule will be available on the U Minnesota mobile app.
- If you already downloaded the app and the Class of 2019 guide, it will automatically update with Welcome Week information. If you still need to download the app, start here.
Stay Safe on Campus
- The University offers an abundance of information to help you keep safe on campus. Read through the Safe U website to make sure your transition to campus is a safe one.
THINGS TO KNOW FOR A SMOOTH START TO WELCOME WEEK
For On-Campus Students Only - Move In
- For students living on-campus in a residence hall or a University apartments (University Village, Yudof, or Wilkins), move-in instructions can be found on Housing and Residential Life’s website.
For Off-Campus Students Only - Gopher Hall and Welcome Week Parking
- Join Gopher Hall! Gopher Hall is a virtual community that is exclusive to students living off campus. By joining Gopher Hall, you will be able to connect with other off-campus students and have access to resources and program opportunities throughout the year. Want to join? Gopher Hall is on Facebook (as Gopher Hall) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you will be driving to campus, you can park in the East River Road Garage and pick up a parking voucher at Welcome Week Headquarters (Coffman Memorial Union, President’s Room, Room 332).
- Be on the lookout for the Welcome Week Off-Campus Student Mailer! It is full of helpful information to make your Welcome Week experience successful!
Welcome Week Check-In
- For students living on campus, with the exception of Bailey Hall
- Go to the Great Hall of Coffman Memorial Union September 1 between 10:00 a.m.--9:00 p.m. or September 2 between 10:00 a.m.--1:00 p.m. to check in.
- For student living in Bailey Hall
- Go to the Cherrywood Room of St. Paul Student Center (on the Saint Paul Campus) September 2 between 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m. to check in.
- For student living Off campus
- Go to the Great Hall of Coffman Memorial Union September 2 between 2:30 P.M.-3:15 p.m. to check in.
At Check-In, you will receive your personalized schedule, a water bottle, a drawstring bag, your name tag, and a class of 2019 T-shirt. Check-In will also include a presentation that will introduce you to Welcome Week. You will learn important information about navigating your first week on campus.
Prior to Welcome Week
- Before September 2, Flexdine will be available for students who have meal plans.
During Welcome Week
- Meals are provided during Welcome Week beginning with brunch Wednesday, September 2 through dinner Friday, September 4. University Dining Services contracts begin with brunch Saturday, September 5.
Gold Book is Online
- Get familiar with the resources outlined in the Gold Book you received at Orientation to ensure a smooth transition. This publication is now available online.
Be A Winner!
- Win a University Bookstore gift certificate! If you complete the Event Selection process and the Welcome Week Evaluation (available after Welcome Week), your name will be entered into a prize drawing.
WELCOME WEEK WISDOM - ENJOY SOME INSIGHT FROM FELLOW GOPHERS REGARDING THEIR WELCOME WEEK EXPERIENCE
- “Use your Welcome Week Leaders to ask any or all questions you may have. They are there for you and always eager to help!”
- “Make sure to have an open mind because the week is what you make of it!”
- “Take chances and meet people. Don't worry too much about what people think. You can boil down your group to best friends later. Go to the Mall, go to Target, stand in lines and chat with people. Making connections is a lot easier than it seems.”
- “Seek out help if you need it.”
- “Be Yourself!”
Orientation & First-Year Programs