Content Learning Beyond the Classroom
%%First Name%%: Can you believe in about two months you will have completed your first year at the U? We can’t believe it either! With only a couple months left in your first year, consider trying something new to engage in learning beyond the classroom. Read on to learn more!
THINGS TO DO
Look for a summer job or internship
Searching for some hands-on learning through a summer job or internship? Below are some resources to help you begin your search.
Check out a few opportunities with Orientation & First-Year Programs!
- Office Assistant
- First-Year Initiatives Intern
UMN Employment website
Spring Into Your Major!
Join the Center for Academic Planning and Exploration (CAPE) Friday, March 31 for an interactive workshop designed to help undergraduate students learn more about their interests and values, and how they apply to different majors at the U. Spring into your major and spend the afternoon with CAPE, lunch included! Register now! Visit here for more information.
Center for Educational Innovation’s (CEI) Thank a Teacher program is a way for students to send thank you notes to instructors who have made a difference in their learning. Express your gratitude and let your professor or TA know that you are thankful for them! You can choose to remain anonymous. Visit this link to submit a thank you note.
Center for Community-Engaged Learning
The Center for Community-Engaged Learning (CCEL) works with partners to provide opportunities for students to engage in off-campus experiential learning through community work and place-based educational programs. Whether academically based or co-curricular, these experiences complement classroom learning, foster personal, professional, and civic development, and allow students to work with others to enhance the well-being of our communities.
Visit the CCEL to find out about these opportunities:
- Community engaged courses
- Make an ongoing commitment to volunteer in one of 300 community partner organizations in the Twin Cites
- The Community Engagement Scholars Program (CESP) and honors-type recognition program for undergraduate students committed to being involved in communities beyond the University
- Unique off-campus study and immersive experiential learning opportunities focused on social justice issues available through a HECUA program
- National Student Exchange, a program where you can explore a new place by studying away for a semester or an academic year at one of NSE’s 200 member institutions throughout the United States, Canada, and U.S. territories including Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Learning Abroad Center
The Learning Abroad Center offers over 300 meaningful learning abroad programs in 80 countries. Take advantage of a full range of advising and support services, including program selection, academic planning, financial planning, registration, cultural adjustment, and re-entry. The center can help you earn credits, fulfill liberal education requirements, and apply for financial aid.
Explore the enchanting streets of Morocco's cultural capital, improve your Spanish in Mexico, study at a prestigious university in South Korea, integrate into French culture just miles from the Mediterranean, and more. It's never too early to study abroad: Visit the office at 230 Heller Hall or at UMabroad.umn.edu.
Orientation & First-Year Programs