Orientation & First-Year Programs (OFYP) August 28, 2017
In the next few days you will have the opportunity to connect with your peers in the Class of 2021. Your classmates come from more than 140 countries. Some speak different languages, and all have lived experiences different from your own.
This University will provide you with many opportunities to connect with people who are different from you. Welcome Week will be a shared experience for you all. How will you take advantage of this opportunity?
To learn how others experienced Welcome Week, here is some advice from students who started at the U last year.
On transitioning to college:
- “Welcome Week was great and I loved how it ultimately brought me feeling closer to the university and more familiar with my surroundings and my hall mates.”
- “I had a great time at Welcome Week! It made me more excited to start college, I made new friends, and became more comfortable with the campus!”
- “This was the best possible start to my college career, and I feel lucky to go to a University that places an emphasis on helping new students feel more comfortable and as though they have limitless potential and opportunities for success.”
- “The Welcome Week program is awesome because it is a great transition from high school to U for all of freshman no matter where they come from.”
On navigating the Welcome Week schedule:
- “If you don't know where something is just ask around. Make sure to go to all the things on your schedule because they are very helpful and informative sessions, and a great way to meet people.”
- “GO TO ALL THE EVENTS! They exist to help you maximize your time on campus and help you have a better time.”
- “Use both [the paper schedule and the U Minnesota app]. It's like cereal and milk. Both are good alone, but when you put them together, BOOM!!!! It just works so much better.”
On their Welcome Week highlights:
- “The best part of Welcome Week was experiencing everything with the small group ... it was a great way to make friends.”
- “It was nice to be with everyone in my college [at College Day] and get to know them.”
- “Pride and Spirit was by far my favorite event. It was so much fun to see the band perform and to learn all of the cheers. It really makes you feel like a Golden Gopher!”
- “I had the chance to meet with several different areas of the student body. I was even convinced to sign up for a break dancing group, so at this point, I would say that anything is possible.”
- “It was nice to have a [Welcome Week Leader] who went through the same experience just a year before and could answer questions about what each event was! He was super friendly and easy to talk to which was nice!”
We look forward to seeing you tomorrow when you check in for Welcome Week!
Orientation & First-Year Programs