Orientation & Transition ExperiencesMay 15, 2018
You have just completed your first year at the University of Minnesota! It may not have hit you yet, but this is a big deal. Take a moment to pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself. While this will be the last Class of 2021 newsletter from Orientation & Transition Experiences, you can always contact us this summer and next year with any questions or concerns.
Take the time to reflect and think ahead to make the most of what you’ve learned in your first year. As you answer the questions below, consider sharing what you’ve learned with family and friends or share with future first-year students!
- What worked really well for you this year?
- What could you have done differently to make your experience better?
- What are some of your favorite memories from the past year?
- What was your favorite class? Why was it your favorite class? How can you keep studying courses like that?
- If someone were to ask you to describe your first year at the U with one word, what would that word be?
- What do you hope to continue doing to help you succeed in your future semesters?
- What study habits worked well that you want to continue next year?
- What are you most looking forward to next year?
THINGS TO KNOW
Summer is here! Here are a few things to consider as you adjust to a new day-to-day rhythm.
- Just because you and your friends are no longer on campus together does not mean you have to abandon each other! Stay connected through social media, phone calls, and get-togethers.
- Remember to take some time this summer to recharge for the 2018-2019 academic year. Think about what you were proud of your freshman year and what you want to improve upon.
- If you are going home, remember that home may feel different (expectations, responsibilities, personal space, etc.) than how you once knew it. Talk with your family about some of the differences you may be noticing.
- Deciding whether or not to look for a job this summer? Remember that experience gained from internships and jobs will benefit you when you are nearing graduation. Consider meeting with Career Services when you return to make the most of your experiences.
- Looking for a summer job? Check out GoldPASS to see available listings for U of M students.
Once again, congratulations on completing your first year. We look forward to seeing you back in the fall for another fantastic year–this time as second-year students!
Second Year Experience Website
Visit the Second Year Experience website to learn more about how to make the most of your next year at the U. The website has a variety of resources designed to help you transition to and have a successful second year.
- Your second year as a student begins during your first year. Check out this resource for up-and-coming second-year students to learn how you can prepare now.
- If you’re wondering what your second year could look like, check out the second year road map. This helps you see what you could explore or work on throughout your second year.
Orientation & Transition Experiences