Dear College of Biological Sciences Student,
Are you looking for a growth opportunity that will set you apart in terms of leadership and interpersonal skills? Do you want to develop as a leader and get paid for it? Orientation & First-Year Programs is recruiting students to be 2016 Orientation Leaders!
As a part of this valuable internship experience, you will:
- Lead and facilitate groups of 15-25 students during Orientation
- Train and supervise a group of 12-20 Welcome Week Leaders
- Develop your leadership style through collaboration, flexibility, and real life experiences
- Work in a dynamic, fast paced, engaging environment
- Make $3,500 and room and board during Freshman Orientation
“Being an Orientation Leader really helped me get over my fear of public speaking and being uncomfortable in front of crowds. The class you have to take for orientation can be taken for credit in the leadership minor, but I feel like it should be rooted in public speaking. As a STEM major looking to go to professional school, the major take-away from the job is being able to work in groups and sharpening my social skills compared to what it might look on my résumé, per se. The leadership training that the job entails is also helpful because you become more equipped to handle social situations that most people might not know how to handle or react to because of the added perspective one receives on very real topics that permeate our social landscape today. I think that being an orientation leader has let me become a better applicant for professional school because it has made me a more well-rounded person who can effectively lead and understand the weight of my words and actions. It was also a super fun experience at the end of the day, and I would recommend the challenge to anyone who is up for it.” Cameron Gray – 2015 Orientation Leader
Attend an information session to learn more about the position. Presentations run every 15 minutes!
- Monday, October 19 – 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. 305 CMU
- Friday, October 23 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. 304 CMU
- Wednesday, October 28 – 12:00-2:00 p.m. 2-233 CSOM
- Thursday, October 29 – 5:00-7:00 p.m. 127 Appleby Hall
- Friday, October 30 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. 305 CMU
- Winter Retreat: January 15-17
- Spring Semester meetings every Wednesday from 3:30-7:30 p.m.
- Freshman Orientation: May 22-July 15, August 24-August 29 (subject to change)
- Welcome Week: August 31-September 5
Don’t pass up this opportunity – apply today. For more information about the position, please call at 612-624-1979 or go to www.ofyp.umn.edu/ol.
Dalton Dahms (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kristen Lee (email@example.com)
Patrick English (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jordan Steger (email@example.com)
Student Program Coordinators
Orientation & First-Year Programs