Dear College of Education and Human Development student,
Are you looking for a hands-on leadership opportunity where you will gain experience facilitating and teaching small groups? Do you want to develop as a leader and get paid for it? Orientation & First-Year Programs is recruiting students to be 2016 Orientation Leaders!
As a part of this valuable internship experience, you will:
- Lead and facilitate groups of 15-25 students during Orientation
- Train and supervise a group of 12-20 Welcome Week Leaders
- Develop your leadership style through collaboration, flexibility, and real life experiences
- Work in a dynamic, fast paced, engaging environment
- Make $3,500 and room and board during Freshman Orientation
“Being an Orientation Leader does not only allow for effective and personal relationships to be built, but it also offers a set of tools that can be used when diving deeper into the complex concept of diversity. As a future elementary educator, understanding how cultures, race, sexualities and identities play out in a classroom environment with people learning and growing on a day-to-day basis is truly important. My goal is to make a difference in the lives of young children by knowing and understanding how diversity plays out in the larger community, as well as how to approach diversity concepts with the utmost respect and knowledge in my lesson plans with the students. Through presentations, powerful communication and lots of practice, the orientation leader experience has given me these necessary tools to feel prepared and informed when teaching a group of students, young or old.” Tayler – Elementary Education and 2015 Orientation Leader
Attend an information session to learn more about the position. Presentations run every 15 minutes!
- Monday, October 19 – 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. 305 CMU
- Friday, October 23 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. 304 CMU
- Wednesday, October 28 – 12:00-2:00 p.m. 2-233 CSOM
- Thursday, October 29 – 5:00-7:00 p.m. 127 Appleby Hall
- Friday, October 30 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. 305 CMU
- Winter Retreat: January 15-17
- Spring Semester meetings every Wednesday from 3:30-7:30 p.m.
- Freshman Orientation: May 22-July 15, August 24-August 29 (subject to change)
- Welcome Week: August 31-September 5
Don’t pass up this opportunity – apply today. For more information about the position, please call at 612-624-1979 or go to www.ofyp.umn.edu/ol.
Dalton Dahms (email@example.com)
Kristen Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Patrick English (email@example.com)
Jordan Steger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Student Program Coordinators
Orientation & First-Year Programs