Dear %%First Name%%,
Are you looking for an opportunity to share your voice on campus? Do you want a meaningful summer position that will grant you skills that are applicable in different career areas? Do you want to help new students transition to their new college life? We are excited to announce that Orientation & First-Year Programs is now recruiting students to be 2016 Orientation Leaders!
As a part of this valuable internship experience, you will:
- Lead and facilitate groups of 15-25 students during Orientation
- Train and supervise a group of 12-20 Welcome Week Leaders
- Develop your leadership style through collaboration, flexibility, and real life experiences
- Work in a dynamic, fast paced, engaging environment
- Make $3,500 and room and board during Freshman Orientation
“Diversity and representation are crucial within leaders. When an incoming student can see themselves in their Orientation Leader who has been in their place and succeeded, that's inspiring.” – Class of 2019 Student
“My orientation experience was beyond perfect. I got 10 times more from this experience than I could ever fathom. I made an impact to new students, which are the bases for this job. I enjoyed building a community of support with Orientation Leaders of different backgrounds and experiences. This tremendous experience has helped me grow in my leadership skills, personal life, and educational life. I learned to face my fears, and how to grow with a community of eager Orientation Leaders. I learned to ask for help when I didn’t know, and I learned to be okay with making mistakes. My orientation squad helped me and supported me through Ramadan (fasting). Some even fasted with me. They say “home is where the heart is at,” that’s why OFYP is family. The opportunities are great, the relationships are wonderful, but above all of that, MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR THE INCOMING FRESHMAN CLASS! Three key (pieces of) advice I would give to incoming Orientation Leaders are, smile, trust and discover.” – Muhidin Sheekh, former Orientation Leader
Attend an information session to learn more about the position. Presentations run every 15 minutes!
- Wednesday, October 28 – 12:00-2:00 p.m. 2-233 CSOM
- Thursday, October 29 – 5:00-7:00 p.m. 127 Appleby Hall
- Friday, October 30 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. 305 CMU
- Winter Retreat: January 15-17
- Spring Semester meetings every Wednesday from 3:30-7:30 p.m.
- Freshman Orientation: May 22-July 15, August 24-August 29 (subject to change)
- Welcome Week: August 31-September 5
Don’t pass up this opportunity – apply today. For more information about the position, please call at 612-624-1979 or go to www.ofyp.umn.edu/ol.
Dalton Dahms (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kristen Lee (email@example.com)
Patrick English (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jordan Steger (email@example.com)
Student Program Coordinators
Orientation & First-Year Programs